35 English Speaking Phrases - Vocabulary For IELTS 2021

The useful English phrases for your IELTS speaking exam. All the phrases are super common and they're just a tiny bit more sophisticated than what most non-native speakers typically use. If you learn all the phrases, I guarantee you that you'll be able to use at least some of them during your exam.

You can write down all the IELTS speaking phrases on paper or notepad, it will help you to remember for a long time. Let's not waste any time and get started!

35  English Speaking Pharses


Likes and Dislikes Questions

Expressing likes and dislikes during your speaking exam, you will definitely have questions about what you like and what you dislike.


Something Appeals To Me

Instead of simply saying I like swimming or I love swimming, you could also say something that appeals to me because,

For example, Swimming appeals to me because it's such a great way to relieve stress. 


Get a Lot of Pleasure Out of Something or Out of Doing Something

Another phrase to use would be I get a lot of pleasure out of something or out of doing something. So instead of saying I like taking my swimming lessons. You could say, I get a lot of pleasure out of taking my swimming lessons.


Keen to do something Or to be Keen on doing Something

If you feel enthusiastic about something. You can say, I am keen to do something. For example, I was keen to help. Or you could say you're keen on doing something. Like, I was keen on going to the party but two centimeters of snow fell in London and trains didn't run that happens every winter.

Using Not Between

You can also say that you're not keen on doing something. For example, I'm not even been told what to do that's why I left my job at a bank to run my own business. 

Using Keen as an adjective:

You can also use keen as an adjective. Like, I'm a keen swimmer or I'm a keen supporter of Arsenal Football Club.


To be fond of something Or to be fond of doing something 

If you've liked something or you enjoyed doing something over a period of time. You can say that you are fond of something or you're fond of doing something. For example:

  • I am fond of the fruit and unlike most people. 
  • I'm not fond of chocolate at all you can also use it to talk out to people.
  • I'm really fond of my uncle or I'm not fond of my neighbor at all.

To Grow Fond of

If you begin to like something over time, you can say to grow fond of it.  

For Example, I've grown fond of the flattered rent and now I don't want to leave sometimes.


Asking for clarifications

Sometimes you don't understand the question or you did not hear the examiner properly. Then you may have to ask for clarifications don't be ashamed of that

You could say:

  • Oh I didn't quite catch that
  • Could you say that again or 
  • Could you explain what you mean by 

For example: Could you explain what you mean by bricks and mortar business? And the reply would be well, it's a business a customer visits not an online business.


Providing Clarification

If you want to clarify what you've just said you could say:

  • to put it another way or 
  • what I'm trying to say or 
  • what I mean is 
For instance: New York is green well what I'm trying to say is a dark-brown bridge is used everywhere.


If you don't know what to say try not to keep quiet

Sometimes you get blanked or you don't know what to say. Then try not to keep quiet. Say something along these lines

  • That's a difficult question 
  • That's a good question 
  • I've never thought about it before but I guess 

If you really don't know what to say you can use two phrases together,'' that's quite a difficult question I've never thought about it before but I guess'' Hopefully by that time you will find an idea. 


Agree with Something

Sometimes you may be required to agree or disagree with a certain opinion and you could say:

  • I couldn't agree more
  • I totally agree
  • Simply say absolutely 
  • Definitely 
  • Precisely

For example:

  1. absolutely, young people spend way too much time on social media.
  2. Precisely, it's not only young people who spent too much time on social media, but my granny also does it too.


Soft ways of going along with agreeing on opinion

A softer form of agreement would be like: 

  • I tend to agree with that 
  • I tend to agree that 
  • Well it really depends 

Well, the answer depends on how you look at the problem. 


Politely Disagree

If you wanna politely disagree you could say. For example: 

  1. That's one way of looking at it. However,
  2. That's not always true some people say that getting an education is the best way to prepare for the future. 
  3. However, that's not always true in some situations hands-on experience is much more valuable.

Expressing your Opinion

If you're expressing your opinion or you're simply not sure, if something is true or not you could say:

  • As far as I'm concerned
  • As I see it 
  • As far as I know

For example, global warming is a recent problem as far as I know (it means I'm not stating it's a fact but I show that's what I think)


When You are Not Sure

If you're not sure about something you could also say:

  • I suppose or 
  • I would imagine
  • I'm not sure if it's true but

For instance, I would imagine so many scientists can't be wrong.


When You believe or feel about something

Sometimes, you feel strongly about something you could use 

  • I'm convinced 
  • There is no other way

 For example:

  1. I'm convinced unlike President Trump
  2.  I'm convinced that global warming is a real issue
  3.  There is no other way, we have to cut down on our use of plastic
  4. But there is no other way 

Unexpected Questions

If you get an unexpected question you could use this phrase, I've never really thought about it well.

For example, what is your favorite wild animal? You could say express your thought this way: well, I've never really thought about it but I'm quite fond of big cats, for instance, Tigers and lair parts.


While Finishing your Answer

If you're about to finish your task before the examiner stops you it's good to indicate that you're about to finish then you could say:

  • To sum up 
  • To wrap up 

For example, to wrap up I'm really fond of Miami because of its diversity and tropical climate.


Bottom Line

These are 35 phrases to help you in your speaking exam and which phase you like the most, Please let me know through Comment.

Also Read: How You Can Practice IELTS Speaking Without Partner.

Good Luck with your preparation and  Good Luck with your exam!!




Comments

  1. After going through your contents I realize that this is the best of my knowledge as it provides the best information and suggestions. This is very helpful and share worthy. If you are looking for the best Learn Spoken English India then visit Practee Technologies. Keep sharing more.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts