IELTS Speaking New Questions - Latest Questions With Answers 2020

 I've prepared for you some answers to the most difficult questions reported by students in July 2020 

The current database of questions will be used until the end of summer and in December. It will be revised but actually, topics are usually recycled in IELTS speaking for quite a long time. Some people are able to take IELTS because in some countries, there is no lockdown and others take the online version called IELTS indicator. 

IELTS Speaking New Questions


Don't learn my answers by heart, you'll be penalized but learn words and phrases I've prepared for you. These will help you improve your answers. Here, I'm going to give you a bit more topic-specific vocabulary to help you improve your vocabulary.  Math, Boredom, Laughter, and Colors are the main four topics that students are getting frequently these days.


The First topic is Math

Q: 1. The first question is, do you like math?

 A: Actually, I do I think, I'm quite good with numbers

I even chose to study mathematics in high school advanced mathematics and later economics at university. Perhaps, it runs the family because my mom is an engineer, and my granny used to teach physics at university. 

Some good phrases are 

  • To be (really or reasonably) good with numbers: that's a fixed expression. You can say I'm reasonably good with numbers, I'm really good with numbers or I'm afraid or I'm not good with numbers.
  • To run in the family: that's something you say about an ability so a certain ability runs in the family, which means many family members have it. For instance, we're all ambitious it seems to run in the family.

Q: 2. Do you use maths in everyday life?

Definitely, I run my own business and I'd like to know how it performs what works and what doesn't. So, it's been quite a lot of time analyzing data and of course, I use statistics and mathematics to do that

Q:3. Do you have a favorite number?

A: I think the whole idea of favorite or lucky numbers is a bit silly but if I was forced to say I would choose number seven apparently. So would most people in this world and I read that number seven was called the world's favorite number?

  • If you're asked about favorite numbers you can use the phrase a lucky number.  Like, my lucky number it's quite common and 
  • Another expression is if I was forced to say. That's when you get a question and you have no idea what you would say if I was forced to say, I would choose this. What's your favorite color? I have no idea but if I was forced to say, I would choose blue and something else.

Q: 4. Are there any numbers of the top considered unlucky in your country?

A: It's definitely, number 13 I think. Some hotels don't ever have the 13th floor just to avoid possible problems or superstitious customers. By no means I would call it lucky because my mom was born on the 13th of July that's true. Actually, I quite like the number 13. So, I'm not superstitious and if you believe in things like number 13, like cats and so on you can say that you're superstitious.


The Second Topic is Boredom 

Q: 5. Do you often feel bored?

A: I wouldn't say so, I find both my work and life in general quite exciting but when I studied in the universe, I sometimes felt bored to death.

Phrases: To be bored to death or To be bored to out of your mind

  • The first expression to be bored to death, it means you're extremely bored. 
  • You can also say, I'm bored out of my mind, the lecture was so dull I was bored out of my mind

Q: 6. What makes you feel bored?

A: I suppose dull monotonous tasks are the worst at university. One professor simply read us books for 1 hour and 20 minutes every week. I just spent every lecture watching the clock.

Useful Phrases:

  • To be watching the clock means you check how much time is left before something finishes. Example: He spent the whole meeting watching the clock. 
  • If you're talking about something boring, you can say that something was dull. It means not interesting, not exciting, or monotonous. It means it was just the same all the time

Q: 7. Is it okay to feel bored at work or at school depending on whether you work or study?

A: I'm afraid some degree of boredom is simply unavoidable when you starting your job. It seems exciting but then with time then the novelty wears off and doing some things just gets boring but when you feel constantly underwhelmed, it's a sign that something has to change.

  • The novelty wears off: so you start doing something new and then you get used to it, the novelty wears off. 
  • Underwhelmed means you're not impressed, you're not excited I was underwhelmed by his speech and his speech was underwhelming.

Note: This is an informal word so don't use it in IELTS writing 


The next topic is Laughter

 Q: 8. What makes you laugh?

A: I love watching a good comedy, those with Eddie Murphy are hilarious. I can't stop laughing. Or my friend always makes me laugh.

Good words: I can't stop laughing and someone makes me laugh.

Q: 9. When did you laugh a lot?

A: The other day, I watched my neighbor, trying to put his big dog into his cycling basket and the dog wasn't keen on this idea at all. I nearly died laughing.

Useful Phrases are: 

  • So you can say I nearly died laughing or I almost died laughing. It means something was extremely funny, I nearly died laughing when I saw this 
  • To be keen on something means to be eager or willing to do something. I wasn't keen on this idea or I was keen to go there that's another way to say I like or I don't like it.

Also Read: 35 English Speaking Phrases 

Q: 10. Is it important to laugh? 

A: As I say laughter is the best medicine. It's been proven by scientists that laughter helps to reduce stress and boost one's immune system, increasing your lifespan. So, we should try to laugh more and worry less.

  • The phrase laughter is the best medicine is a good phrase. 

Our Last Topic is Colors 

Q: 11. Do you think of the colors that a person will tell us something about his or her character?

A: Yes! in the UK many people wear neutral colors. I mean black and white outfits are very common particularly among office workers and in general people tend to choose dark subdued colors. Of course, some people go for vivid rich colors that stand out. Those are perceived as being both confident perhaps creative. I would say that someone's look as a whole can tell us much more about a person than just the color of his or her clothes.

Note: When you're talking about colors it's good to use some more interesting vocabulary than just blue, gray, red. So you can say this:

  • neutral colors
  • bright colors 
  • vivid or rich or soft colors pastel colors
  • the light and not bright
  • dark colors
  • when you describe a certain color also use some extra adjectives. You can say soft blue, light blue, dark blue, deep blue, or perhaps even royal blue.

 Q: 12. Do men and women like to wear similar colors?

A: I would say the dress code of men's and women's wear is quite similar. We were black coats white t-shirts and blue jeans but women are more likely to complement their outfits with bright saturated colors. While men tend to choose more muted subdued colors. it's also true for the occasion, where let's say a woman's dress may be royal blue while a men suit will likely be grey with just a hint of blue and a light blue shirt.

Q: 13. Are colors important in marketing and advertising?

A: Absolutely picking the right color can help a company communicate its message, its brand values to potential buyers that's because we have certain associations with each color. For instance, red is passion, and energy whitest cleanness blue is stability. Companies tend to pick the brand color depending on what they stand for if we talk about blue this color is popular among banks because it communicates stability and authority the values that people expect from people who handle their money, in general, the right color can emphasize the brand message.


Thank you for reading this article. Don't try to remember the answers. Learn all the phrases and use them in your IELTS speaking. 

Also Read: Learn About IELTS Speaking Secrets.

Good luck with your preparation and your exam.


Comments

Popular Posts